FIA Card Service - FIA Financial/IRS 1099

I received a bill from the IRS for a debt cancellation based on a 1099 form filed by FIA Financial, Card Services, Consumer Lending based in Greensboro, NC.I never received the form from FIA, supposedly for a bill I incurred in 2008 and they wrote it off in 2008.

I think not. I never did business with them. It is possible that they purchased some accounts from other companies and then wrote them off.

I would like to know if others out there have experienced similar problems and if so, I would like to share info.I smell something seriously wrong here.

More Review Details

Helpful? 37 Yes 37 0 No 0
Had the same issue 16 Yes 16
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jun 23 #998519

Great article. Thanks for the info, it’s easy to understand. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a form 1099-C, I found a blank form here:

Mar 20 #961255 Austin, Texas

Same thing happened to my husband and I. We called bank of America and they did not have any records of my husband. I have an appointment with IRS today to check what is going on.

May 05, 2014 #812096

same thing happened to me the irs said that we owed fia card services and I never received a 1099 either and did not even have a boa credit card

May 01, 2014 #811001

i just received a notice from IRS about debt cancellation 2 years ago. A 1099-C was turned in by FIA Card Services. Do not know who they are.

Feb 22, 2014 #787610

I just received a IRS form stating I need o pay due to a Cancelation of debt from FIA. Never received form? Do not even recall this? :?

Dec 05, 2013 #753328

I also received a bill from IRS stating a cancellation of debt without receipt of any 1099 form. Now IRS is claiminh moneys owed them based on income from this cancellation of debt from FIA Card Services. Is this legal?

Aug 20, 2013 #703453 Boca Raton, Florida

I, too, received a bill from the IRS yesterday for $1100 citing the exact same reason.

Jun 20, 2013 #667171

I recieved a notice from the IRS as well for an unpaid tax bill of $1,000 or so. I called all my card settlement comapnies & ran my credit report & none could be traced to FIA card services or the amount that they said was "forgiven" & unclaimed on my 2011 taxes. Called the IRS directly & was on hold for an hour, finally after they did a bit of digging, they noticed that it was a mistake on FIA's part & they had assigned my social security number to someone elses forgiven debt. I think FIA is just writing off random debt to random social security numbers, hoping the consumer will ot catch on & just write a check out to the IRS. Check your credit reports & then deal with it with the IRS directly! :(

Jun 22, 2012 #500341

I had an agreement w/BOA to pay off cc debt. CC was paid in full. Received a 1099-c 2 1/2 years later as a write off . Took (in Fed dist CT SC now)them to court for breach of contract. FIA & BOA are perpetuating a tax fraud. FIA wants to settle.

1 0 Reply

Apr 18, 2012 #468098

I too have recieved a similar letter from the IRS. I am confused as to how to use the form 982, as I do not have any knowledge of such a debt, does not appear on my credit report, and can't get a phone number to call them with. Do you have a valid phone number?

1 0 Reply

Mar 21, 2013 #626595 Brooklyn, New York

Their number is (866) 809-8554
FIA Financial Services

Jan 28, 2012 #417788

I too have received the same notice from FIA. They state they have sent in a 1099-c for a debt that was/is not mine. You have to file a special form (982) with the IRS with statement that you dispute this debt.

May 23, 2013 #655257 Saint Louis, Missouri

Me too received a notice from IRS. They stated that FIA Card Services have submitted a Form 1099-C dated 2/2011. I have no recall that I have a transaction with this company. What should I do? where can I secure a form-982?
thanks for the post! :cry

09FIA SCAMMERS watch out

Feb 14, 2014 #785299

Call the IRS and let them know that you have no idea what FIA or whomever (if the debt is not yours)that you think there is a mistake....they should contact FIA for a "vailidation" of debt or that they made an error...The IRS will send you a letter too as well as the final outcome....also, FIA gets to use those "write offs" as a deduction!!!!

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.